Wednesday, January 13, 2010

mmm... Carrot Cake

Today is my boss's birthday. Last year I found the best carrot cake recipe, so I tried it again this year. Ellen and I slaved over a hot oven to create this masterpiece.


I've heard that you can melt Starburst candies to cut out shapes, but that didn't work so well. We unwrapped what felt like a million little candies and sorted them into colors. (This is where it's handy to have the three year old!) I started with orange, and it was pretty much a failure. I burned my finger trying to scrape the melted candy, so I just resorted to spelling his name in what can only be described as Pac-Man style lettering.


Here's the recipe for the best carrot cake and cream cheese frosting EVER!!

Cake:
4 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3 cups grated carrots

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
3 2/3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a sheet pan.
In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, sugars, and vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir in carrots. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
To make frosting: In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Frost the cooled cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment